Monday, March 17, 2014

Race Recap: Big 12 5K Fun Run

I had not run a single step since the Princess Half. Mark has been out of town and I've been so busy with work that I just haven't been able to. The family has also been passing a lovely bug between each other so I wasn't feeling real strong or healthy. Then it hit me - I have another half-marathon in a month. I needed to get out there get my training started again. So, I signed up for the Big 12 5K Fun Run & Family Stroll this past Saturday.

The race took place down at the Power & Light District here in KC. It's my second time running in this area, but it was a completely different course. The race was timed and finisher medals were handed out - which is always a great perk!


Logo taken from the website

I got there early to pick up my packet since I wasn't able to go the day before. I'm not a big fan of picking up the day of, but sometimes it can't be helped. Luckily, I got there early enough that I didn't have to wait in line, had time to walk back to my car to drop off my shirt and the extra stuff.  I also haven't had to tie a chip to my shoe since my race in October, so it caught me off guard for a second when the chip fell out of the packet - another reason I was happy I got there early. I headed back to the race area and stretched, walked around and tried to get my mind into race mode.

My hope was to settle into a 12:30-13 minute pace - I really, really, really wanted to PR during this race, but it's been a while since I ran so I wasn't sure. We took off and I comfortably found my pace - looked at my Garmin and it was around 11:53 - I was excited and scared at the same time. I was afraid this was probably too fast for me, but I felt good so I kept going. Big mistake. I went out too fast, again.

I ran the first full mile - but my breathing began to act up on me and I had to stop and walk. I couldn't get it under control no matter how hard I tried - I need to go chat with a doctor about this. I had to walk for probably close to .5 miles just to get myself calmed back down. I started running again and made myself stay around a 12:30 pace - I felt better, but my mental state was shot. I was so upset with myself that I couldn't get back in the game.

Around mile 1.75 I noticed a family running together. As I looked at the mom, she was wearing a Dopey Challenge shirt - I ran over, congratulated her on completing the challenge and told her I just got back from Princess Half.  She told me congratulations and we kept running. (For those who don't know, Dopey is a combination of the WDW Marathon, Half-Marathon, 10K and 5K - in four days. Insanity.)

We went up an overpass and on the way down saw the mile 2 marker. I was feeling pretty good and just tried to keep running. I knew a PR was out of the question, so I focused on finishing as strong as I could. Then, around 2.5/2.75 the organizers of this race decided to have some fun with us - I swear we were running straight up hill. That was the most brutal hill I have ever run up - okay, sorry, walked up. There was no jogging by this chick. I walked that sucker. I was shot - there was no way.  Hills tend to have the biggest impact on my breathing so I didn't want to make things any worse. Came back down that hill, up another small one and saw the finish line. I ran as hard as I could across the finish line, but was so happy to have this race over. 

I walked around for a little while to cool down, found someone to take my picture and then drove on home. Overall, the race was fun. The hill was ugly - but I think that if my breathing wouldn't have acted up on me I would have been able to run at least the first 2 miles. I need to get that figured out and I will. 



So now, I'm ready to really get into training. I've decided to join a pacer group during Rock the Parkway - they will run 3:05 (the slowest pace group they are allowing). I know that's a 13 minute pace, which I know I'm capable of doing. I also know that they will run for most of this race - stopping only through water breaks. It will be tough - but if I can do it I think it will work wonders for my mental game. 

Today's Stats:
3.1 miles
38:50 minutes
12:38 avg min/mil

981 out of 1418 total
101 out of 157 F 30-34
Goals for next run
Probably won't be able to get out until Thursday. Going to get in at least 3-4 miles - try to run the full distance at a 13 minute pace. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a race well run! Don't you just hate when they put a hill right before the finish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That hill - it was horrible. A bunch of us were loudly cussing it the entire way - there were kids crying trying to make it up the hill and parents that were not going to carry them. One of those times I wish I would have scoped out the course in advance....

      Delete