Monday, September 2, 2013

Second 5K = SUCCESS!!!

I had my second competitive 5K this morning and it was just what I needed. The weather was gorgeous and the race organizers said on several occasions that they believed PRs would be set today. In my case, they were absolutely right. I needed today's race - for my training and especially my confidence.

I had a pretty rough dream this morning - apparently my negative voice has traveled into my dreams. In my dream I quit halfway through a race and went home. My family was waiting for me laughing and telling me they knew I couldn't do it and should try to find a 2K now. I woke up from that dream when my alarm went off and did my best to not let it overtake my mind. I tried to think motivational and positive thoughts throughout the morning and did everything I could to not let any negativity enter into my brain.

From the race brochure

This was a great race. Only a small hill - flat and easy to run. The course was really simple and quiet pretty. I didn't think I started out fast, but boy did I. I stopped probably at the .5 mark to start walking a little. Before I even hit the 1 mile mark the runners were returning towards the finish line - I started to get discouraged but instead, decided to start clapping and cheering them on - it was a great mind swap. Not long after that I realized I was coming up on the 1 mile marker - I couldn't believe how quickly I had reached it. And, I should have been surprised - I ran almost an 11:26 mile. I thought I was going to cry I was so excited. I kept telling myself to keep pushing, keep pushing, you are going to PR. That was my goal - to PR.  By the time we made the turn and started heading back I knew the 2 mile marker was coming up - but I knew I had slowed down some as well. I pushed my runs as hard as I could and tried to keep my walks limited. Came up to mile marker 2 and was shocked to see it was around 24 minutes. I knew I could PR. 

I kept telling myself to keep your head up, keep running, you're almost done. I really wanted to finish strong and run as much of the last mile as I could. My 3 mile was not as good as I would have like it to be but I ran hard across that finish line. The clock said around 37:19 and I was blown away. I had PR'd - and not by a little but by a ton. Once I realized my official time would be even quicker than that you would have had to beat the smile off my face.  

When I got my print out, I started to get upset with myself. I finished so far behind everyone, especially in my age group. But, I had to remind myself that this is only my second 5K and I've only been doing this for a couple of months now. I have no right to be disappointed - I crushed my PR and ran a great race. And, at the end of the day, I didn't take last!

These little slips make me happy

Of the above slip, there's one change that I know of already. My finish position was out of 321 - not 295. Everything else has remained the same. 37:01:5 - are you kidding me???????  

Training continues as my next 5K is in 3 weeks, with a 4 miler two weeks later. 

Today's Stats:
3.1 miles
37:01:05 minutes
11:57 avg min/mil
If the half-marathon was today: appox. 2:51

Goals for next run

Probably won't get out much this week but will try to get at least one training run. I have got to get my daily mileage up to 4 miles. The back of my quad hurts a lot too so I may let my body rest up a bit. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment