Sunday, September 22, 2013

Third 5K - I beat my own mental game....

I was not feeling it this morning. I had a 5K race this morning, the last one of my training that I have scheduled, and I was not feeling it. I woke up unprepared, especially mentally. I had a feeling it was going to be a rough morning.

I really wanted to PR this morning. I also wanted to run the first mile of the race, possibly more. I spent the drive to the course getting myself pumped up mentally.  Lots of "you can do this" and "you got this" on the drive. I knew it was going to be a big race in terms of numbers - I also knew there would be a lot of walkers. I felt like if I got myself in a good mid-pack start at the starting line and kept a slow, but comfortable pace I could make this a great race. 

I managed to beat my mental game.

For the first time in a race, I ran the first mile. I slowed down to remove my sweatshirt, which ended up being the worst decision I made all day. I was in a groove and moving well - and just like that, my momentum was gone. All the muscles started hurting, my breathing became labored and I had to start alternating my running with walking. From that point on, I struggled breathing. I had a hard time catching my breath and getting myself relaxed to the point I could run well again. I pushed through and managed to finish strong, but was just a little disappointed. Overall though, I felt fantastic and was really proud of myself for the race I ran today.

I PR'd by 1 min 20 seconds - my avg pace was nuts. I really wish I would have ran my RunKeeper during the race because I'm curious what my splits were. I really think I ran a 10 minute mile today.  I took 27 out of 50 in my age group and 360 out of 657 participants. 

On a side note - this was really a great race. The Panera Bread Diabetes Dash for Life 5K - it was an inaugural event and the organizers did a great job. They had bagels, bananas and coffee for us before the race and bagels, bananas, cookies, scones, coffee and water after the race. We also got some pretty incredible finisher medals. This race is on my list for future years - I'll definitely participate again. 


Today's Stats:
3.1 miles
35:40 minutes
11:22 avg min/mil
If the half-marathon was today: appox. 2:45:08

Goals for next run
Going to take a couple days off to recover. The left knee and ankle are sore, which is normal for me on a non-running day, but a running day only exacerbates the issue. My runs from here on out have to be at least 4 miles as my next race is a 4 mile run on Oct. 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment