Saturday, August 31, 2013

Just when I think I can't do it...

This hasn't been easy. It has been fun sometimes. I'm beginning to feel weighed down by knowing how much money I have spent on this little adventure so far and how I just don't feel like I'm going to be able to do it. I knew this would be hard - and I had hoped I would've had more time to devote to training. But my life continues to get in the way and this dream continues to take a back seat. Regardless, I still find a way to get out the door at least once a week, sometimes twice or more. I'm not making the kind of progress I had hoped to by this point, but I guess I still have time.

Tonight I had some good times and some rough times - all in the matter of a 5K. As I started to get discouraged, I began to think about where I started less than 2 months ago. My first run was on July 7 - I went 1.78 miles in 27:09 minutes and averaged a 15 minute mile. Just 16 runs later, I ran just a tiny bit further than a 5K again tonight and took 2 minutes off that original pace. No, this isn't going to happen overnight, but it is going to happen. As disappointed as I was feeling earlier, looking at my stats right now I feel pretty good. It puts a smile on my face.

My biggest victory in all this is by far the fact that I'm still heading out the door. I'm not finding excuses or reasons to stay home. Even if I can only get a short run in, I'm lacing up and hitting the road. I'm having fun - I'm enjoying it. And I'm excited when I think about my run - leading up to, during and after. I'm drinking more water, trying to eat better - sleep is still an issue but I'll keep trying to get more. I need to make a concerted effort to cross train a little better. It's hard enough for me to get my training runs in 2-3 times a week that finding time to cross train is near impossible, but I know I need to do it. Going to look at the YMCA schedule again and see what I can figure out.

Have my first 5K race in over a month on Monday. Pretty excited to see how I do and if I can set a PR.

Tonight's Stats:
3.29 miles
43:19 minutes
13:09 pace
If the half was today: approx 3:10:00

Goals for next run:
Resting tomorrow before my 5K race on Monday. Timed and certified. Really want to PR, which will require a 12 minute pace.  Not sure if I can do it, but I am damn sure going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment