Sunday, July 14, 2013

Day of rest????

My 5 year old son has been begging me to come along on a run, so I gave in tonight. I decided to keep it quick - run the same route I ran last Sunday - my first leg on this journey. I knew it would be close to a mile and hopefully wouldn't kill my son. I definitely don't want him running with me every time I go out, but I figure once in a while is fine - plus, I'd love for him to want to run, stay in shape and enjoy athletic activity. 

As I got going, I quickly realized I was going to regret him coming along. Not because I didn't want him to, but because I felt so good. I ran the first 1/2 mile, which I've been able to do for the past 3 runs now. But, I didn't want stop. Logan, however, did was ready to walk. I didn't want to lose him altogether so reluctantly, I walked. This went on for 3-4 more runs. I felt so good, I wanted to keep going. I ran a little further than I've ran each night - and crushed my run/walk ratio from my run last week. Instead of being discouraged that I didn't get to run more or upset that I really couldn't, I chose to smile and celebrate the victories that I discovered along the way. I'm making progress - I'm doing really good for only doing this for a week. And, I WANT to run. I look forward to it. I was thinking about it all day. I'm excited about the transfer in attitude - I am beginning to think I can do this. 

After tonight, I've decided I'm going to run this route each Sunday. I'm going to use it as a barometer - to see just how far I've come and just much I've progressed. It will be a confidence booster - oh, hell, who am I kidding. It will be my private ego booster. During my runs in between, I'll continue to increase my distance and length of actual running. 

I haven't signed up for the 1/2 marathon yet. Giving myself a couple more days to make up my mind. But, I'm getting closer to doing it. Mark believes I can and is encouraging me to do it. My sister wants me to as well, mainly because she wants to start training with me when she moves here soon and run the race in 2015. I'll make up my mind this week sometime. In the meantime, I'll just continue to grow to love running.

Tonight's stats:
No stats kept tonight. Kept it simple and easy. 

Goal for Tuesday is 2.5 miles, running the first .6 miles and working to slightly increase each run interval.

No comments:

Post a Comment