Wednesday, July 31, 2013

And I'm feeling good.....

Tonight was my first opportunity to run since the race on Sunday. I've been tired and stressed and emotional and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I did know is that I need to be running at least 3 miles on every run now if I'm going to improve and reach my goals.

Surprisingly, tonight went well. Ran quite a bit and felt good. It was humid, holy hell was it humid. My time was slower than I wanted, and slower than Sunday, but I really do think the humidity played a role and slowed me down. I also struggled with my breathing about halfway through and that didn't help. Oh, and there was a pitbull on a leash just running circles and trying to get at me - I was praying that the leash would hold him and I couldn't quite figure out if I wanted to be slow and calculated as I moved past him or if I wanted to run like hell. I was slow and calculated...but moved my legs as fast as they would go.

I've set new goals, goals I believe are obtainable and also smart as I continue to train. I do still have more than 200 days until this half and I don't want to get burnt out waiting for it to come but I also don't want it to be the only goal I strive for. So, I'm signing up for a 10K in October and a 15K in November. I feel like those will be great accomplishments for me to strive for and also benchmarks to improve on. If I can do a 15K in November, the half-marathon won't feel near as daunting. I think this will also help me increase my mileage at a good pace. We'll see....

What surprises me most about all of this - I'm having fun. I really am. I think I'm becoming a runner.

Todays's Stats:
3.19 miles
41:09 minutes
12:55 avg min/mil
If the half-marathon was today: appox. 3:03

Goals for next run
Going to try to get another 5K in tomorrow night. Really want to come in under 40 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment