Saturday, July 13, 2013

Small victories

Today was a rough one. Babysat my 2 nieces and my nephew - 5 kids under age 6, running around my house. I was exhausted, mentally drained - got dinner on the table late and figured there was no way I'd get a run in today. I have to be out the door no later than 8:10 p.m. in order to get my run in before it gets too dark and becomes dangerous. That negative little voice had appeared and told me to just climb on the couch, grab some ice cream and relax.

And then it happened, without even thinking I went up to my room, changed clothes, grabbed my running shoes and started stretching. I was out the door at 8:10 p.m. and ran one of my best runs so far. Still walked about as much as I ran, but did really good.

I hurt a lot tonight - a lot. I am beginning to think the shoes may not be right and that makes me sad. I was hoping to get by with the new running shoes I bought, but I don't think they're right for my feet. I also realized tonight just how many inclines my route has in it. There's a lot of uphill climbs - a lot. I could tell when I was going uphill, even slightly, because everything would start hurting again. My hope is to push my way through those hills and use them to my advantage while training - if I can crush those hills, then a fairly flat run will be a piece of cake.

I crossed the 2 mile boundary tonight - I'm so proud of myself for that. It still frightens me to think that I still have 11 miles to go in my final goal, but after 3 runs I'm already at a run/walk of 2 miles. I feel awesome.

Tonight's Progress:
2.28 miles
33:37 minutes
14:42 avg mile/minute
If the half marathon was today: 3:12

I'm going to try to go for a run tomorrow - my son wants to go to, so if we go it will be a short one with a lot more walking than running. I'm looking at it as a light day to keep me loose.

No comments:

Post a Comment